Sunday, February 06, 2011

Out, You Offensive Heels!!!!!

My 11-year-old son had been threatening to throw all my high heels away and finally did so yesterday. He read it on some newspaper that prolonged use of high heels can cause problems from hammer toes, bunions to irreversible damage to leg tendons.

But every woman should have a basic pair of high heels, right? These heels (killer heels, no doubt) that make us look oh-so-glamorous, first became popular in the 30s although they were more suited for special occasions. Today, a pair of heels is practically de rigueur for any woman worth her salt.

Yes, I know. Research has shown that a third of women who wear high heels injure themselves while falling in their heels. The posture is also compromised when the whole body is thrown out of alignment as the heels are forced to be higher than the toes. Many women suffer a shortening of the tendon because the upward tilt of the heel tightens the tendons and they become stretched and painful.

With such strong medical reasons, can I blame him for exercising tough love on me? He'd been at my back the past month but did I listen? No, I just brushed him aside and continued wearing my heels everyday. All because I was used to the high-heeled look and woe to me if I had to walk down Raffles Place with flats!

Despite his month-long nagging, I was shocked to see that my shoe rack was swept clean of heels this morning. Did he really throw away my Nine West, Charles & Keith and some other cute heels with equally cute sounding names? I made a lot of noise and complained that I had to spend money on new shoes now. He just shrugged and said it was better to spend money on new flats (key word: flats) then go for medical treatment in later years.

I couldn't believe it but I was touched. Okay, a compromise was then made. He admitted he did not throw them away after all (PHEW!) but would safe-keep them for now. I would be given a week to sort myself out and get decent walking shoes although I would still be allowed to wear those heels once in a while.

Now, who's the parent and who's the child here?

No comments: