Monday, February 21, 2011

Instant Noodles..... Instant Love

Long, silky strands curl around your fork effortlessly; glistening with a coat of golden sheen and fingers of rising steam loaded with indescribable promises. The nutty fragrance of toasted sesame oil reaches your nostrils even before the noodles touch your taste buds. Intoxicating. Comforting. Home.

My all-time favourite food - the humble instant noodles. What? I hear a few mumbles and can probably spot a few raised eyebrows. The ubiquitous packet of instant noodles that costs less than a dollar is your all-time favourite food? Yes. It is my comfort food; not caviar, not foie gras and certainly not Dom Perignon.

A 50-year-old invention, I say instant noodles is the best thing next to sliced bread. In fact, I would choose the inconspicuous packet over bread anytime. It perks me up when I'm down; it fills my stomach when I'm hungry and too lazy to buy takeout or too inconvenient to order delivery. It is also my travel companion. I have not heard of any Singaporean , Japanese or Korean frequent traveler who trots the world without the packet or cup of comfort strands stashed deep into their suitcases. Instant noodles is home.

Of course, it has often been criticised as unhealthy or junk food. A single serving of instant noodles is high in carbohydrates but low in fiber, minerals and vitamins. High saturated fat or trans fat is found on the noodles as they are fried during the manufacturing process. It also contains large amounts of sodium and monosodium glutamate in the soup base. Why then, is it so popular the world over from Argentina to Ukraine to Asia to the U.S.?

For whatever it's worth, it is a food source that's easy both on the palate and on the pocket. It has been touted as an economic indicator as the sale of instant noodles the world over rose steadily in 1997, following the Asian Financial Crisis and again in 2009, the global economic downturn. With rising inflation and the soar of food prices today, will we see a surge in instant noodle sale again? Likely, I think. Very likely.

Economic reasons aside, I believe people's love with instant noodles stems from its versatility.It is fast and tasty. It is also easy. It can be eaten on its own, with condiments or as a full-fledged meal with egg, meat, slices, vegetables....the works. It can be served soup, dry, semi or fried. I love it all.

Well then.....as a lover of convenient noodles, I must be mindful of all the lowdown and potential health hazards, right? Yes, I do. So here are some cooking tips to have our noodles and eat it:

1) Boil the noodles in a pot of water till they are cooked
2) Remove noodles & pour away the water which contains wax
3) Heat another pot of water till it boils
4) Place cooked noodles into the pot & shut the fire
5) Empty the packet of seasoning into the pot of hot water

Welcome home and Bon Appetit!!!!

1 comment:

fral said...

home, truly! ... ;-)