Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Shepherds of the Flock

I've been musing over an article in Sunday Times (5 Oct 08) "Church pastors like none other" - featuring how 2 pastors started their mega churches from humble beginnings. How these churches have in their own right, spun off multi-million businesses and how their flock has grown to a staggering 5-digit congregation.

Wow.

Back in my teens and 20's, I had been active in one of these non-denominational churches. It had been fun while it lasted. Those were the days before Facebook, MSN, SMS and email communication. Meeting up was the main avenue for interaction and networking. We received as good as we gave. The fellowship was intense and relatively healthy. Most importantly, it passed mom's censor because I was with church folks.

Beyond the weekly Sunday service, Tuesday cell group, Saturday youth group and lots of fellowship activities, I was still me. The fault's all mine, I must concede. "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you." I had neither asked; nor sought; much less knocked.

Sure, I had accepted Christ into my heart, believed in the immense love of God, in the risen saviour and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Especially in the power of the Holy Spirit. It was in fact, the spiritual presence, exhilarating music and energetic preaching that roused the congregation each Sunday. The charismatic renewal, the dynamic sermons and the vivacity of the preachers all culminated in a powerful uplifting of the physical and spiritual realms.

I have no axe to grind with such worship or sermon delivery styles. To quote from the article, these churches do "strike a chord with church-goers today". Even Catholic churches have very powerful and inspirational charismatic masses. Catholics are blessed with the gift of tongues too. For indeed, God must be worshipped "in spirit and in truth" - with one heart, one mind, one soul and in harmony with His Holy Word.

While I acknowledge and respect the said pastors for their dynamism, I believe that shepherds of the faith should have their eyes on the cross and their hearts on the ground. Jesus was a carpenter. He wore sandals and lived simply while on earth. Should his servants live better than he did? No, serving God does not equate to wearing rags or eating crumbs but it does require a certain form of discipline and sacrifice.

It is not a call everyone can answer to.


No comments: