Thursday, January 29, 2009

Confession

I went for confession last Sunday. I had gone for Mass early just so as to do a proper confession in the tranquil stillness of the church.

With my trusty notebook in hand, I approached the confessional with much anxiety and trepidation. It is never easy examining one's conscience, let alone telling it to another. The priest was an elderly man who spoke slowly and gently. He reminded me so much of a dad listening to his wayward daughter; compassionate, guiding and accepting.

Of the seven sacraments, it had taken me a little longer to grasp the fullness of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Theoretically, I knew it as a sacrament that embodies God's unconditional forgiveness and mercy. In my finite thinking, I had also wondered if we could just confess our sins directly to God since He is our Father?

On the most basic level, yes we can. In fact, we should confess our sins to God personally and only He has the power to forgive us. But Confession has been instituted as a gift from God that allows us to not only confess our sins to an ordained priest, but to receive the assurance of God's forgiveness and spiritual guidance.....faith comes by hearing, and by hearing the word of God. ....faith comes by hearing, and by hearing the word of God.

Like the last piece of a puzzle clicking in, I finally saw the beauty of God's grace as He had intended when the priest told me kindly that he was the instrument of God, the voice of Christ speaking through him to comfort and strengthen me.

In that confessional booth, I met Christ and received absolution from Him.

No comments: