Sunday, August 09, 2009

What national day parade means to me...

We celebrated our 44th national day today. I should be feeling patriotic or at least excited by the parade on TV , a yearly display of our nation's most dramatic showmanship and fireworks; not to mention a trip down memory lane on how far we've come as a nation.

But because I had to crank out an assignment due on Tuesday, I only caught the remaining half of the show by the time I managed to tear myself from my laptop to turn on the TV. Somehow, the spirit was different. As I sat there toggling between the impact of parental involvement on a child's literacy and the visual feast unraveling on the screen, it dawned on me that all those drama, singing and special effects had er...... no effect on me.

The cameras zoomed back and forth on our leaders and captured them singing our national songs and waving their hand-held hearts in unison with the people. Looking at these familiar faces who have done so much for this island-state, a single thought flashed through my mind. Were they impressed by the show or did they think it the same year after year save for brighter lights, louder music and better effects? Being leaders of such a progressive country, they must have seen it all. Can they see beyond the pyrotechnics and colourful displays into the core of our nation?

I'm sure a lot of effort and logistics had gone into putting the parade together. As Singapore progressed over the years, our celebrations also evolved with the focus on high-tech entertainment put together by theatrically trained parade directors and awesome military spectacles. Almost Mardi Gras, if I may say so. Now, I'm no parade-detractor but I feel that as a nation, we've become the way our parades are turning out.....showmanship, bright effects, festivities and complacence.

Where is the quiet strength and fortitude? Although much more intelligent than we ever were as kids, our children today complain when they have to walk under the sun, they prefer to hop onto a cab wherever they go, they refuse to eat at hawker centres but choose instead, restaurants or bistros. And why is there such a debate on giving up seats to those who need it on public transport? Isn't it inherently our duty to do so, to take care of the young, old and weak in our society?

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned. I prefer to keep solemn things solemn and the Hollywood effects to the theatrics. Growing up in the 70s, national day parades were always a high point for us kids because the focus then was on the march-pass and on things that really mattered, our flag, our national anthem and our pledge. Our country.

However, something in this year's parade touched me. In an excerpt of PM Lee's speech, he made mention of the national day parade held in 1968. There was no fanfare; just marching of contingents and a couple of lion dances. When it started to rain, nobody ran for cover. Soaked to their skins and shivering in the cold, the participants stood their ground because they were proud of their parade. These were the people who were determined to make it, not just at the parade but for their country.

This is the spirit of NDP we need. And this is the spirit Singapore needs.

No comments: