Monday, March 30, 2009

Woman minister.....finally

The first time I met Mrs Lim Hwee Hua was at a food centre in Serangoon Gardens. The year was 2006. The event was Singapore's 15th General Election.

For us, it was a lazy Sunday brunch after church. For Mrs Lim and her entourage, it was a Pre-election walkabout to touch base with the people. While the all-white ensemble was an impressive sight to behold, I did not pay much attention to it because firstly, I did not live in that area; secondly, politics did not appeal to me much then. Besides, I was more interested tucking into my Char Kway Teow and Roti John.

But I almost fell off my stool when Mrs Lim approached to shake my hand. Unlike other casual-social types of handshake where a limp, lifeless hand meets yours and is withdrawn quickly, Mrs Lim extended a warm, firm, palm-to-palm handshake while maintaining eye contact throughout. Nothing communicated self confidence, sincerity and camaraderie more than this one gesture. She then smiled and said "Please support us."

I was bowled over. Totally.

That single encounter changed my views on politics and politicians. Of course, I had always been a fan of Dr Vivian Balakrishnan and Mr Teo Ser Luck after attending seminars where they graced the event as guests of honour or keynote speakers. But I only saw them as top government officials, albeit good looking ones :0)

Through Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, I began to see politicians as humans; not just policy-makers. Notwithstanding the odd black sheep in every political arena, I began to see that there are people who really wish to make a difference in the lives of others.

With her promotion to a Minister in the Prime Minister's Office, Mrs Lim has broken the so-called invisible glass ceiling to become the first full-fledged woman minister in Singapore. Her credentials and vast experience will see her contributing at the national level but I believe she will also be able to provide a woman's perspective on many policy issues.

I also believe that Mrs Lim, like her handshake, will continue to lead and serve in a warm, sincere and steadfast manner.

No comments: