Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Americans Have Decided

History is made today.

My girlfriend, who exercised her first voting rights in this presidential election, is estastic. A Singapore girl married to a New Yorker, she had contemplated moving back to Singapore with her family in tow had McCain won instead.

Obama is now the 44th president of United States. He has broken the ultimate race barrier to become the first African-American to hold the highest office in the land. But what strikes me most about him is not his race, although that has been played out in virtually every media coverage or report about the election.

To me, he stands for the courage to dream and believe. From humble beginnings and a dysfunctional family..........yes dysfunctional, President-elect Obama has shown us that nothing is impossible when you believe. As a student in Jakarta, he was asked to write an essay titled "My dream: What I want to be in the future". He had written "I want to be a president". Check out the link here

While I do not agree with all of his positions, I believe America might be happy to finally see the change they have been waiting for. Like my girlfriend and her family.

No comments: